• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Armed EPA agents raiding performance tuner shops?

JR3

Active member (5.56mm)
https://www.yahoo.com/news/epa-armed-agents-raids-car-105500071.html

Really? Armed agents? Nanny state trying to kill the performance market.

"Following the EPA’s December National Compliance Initiative, which focuses on manufacture, sale, and installation of emissions “defeat devices,” the agency targeted the high-performance auto industry, sometimes deploying armed agents to slap heavy fines on violators."

"Street vehicles — cars, trucks, and motorcycles — can't be converted into race cars, according to the EPA........
the agency announced it was making a priority of enforcement against high-performance parts in conversion to race cars, including superchargers, tuners, and exhaust systems
. "

MET45

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
War on “Assault Vehicles”, with evil features. These vehicles kill by accelerating climate change and randomly mowing down innocents by excessive speed and torque. /s

Harley

BANNED FOR LIFE+10 Because he dared me to do it!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
Im all for getting rid of the fast & furious wannabe dip$hits with their Honda Civics with fart can exhaust that sounds like a weasel stuck in a lawn mower. They all drive like idiots!

tbirdsc

not so n00b
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I wonder if the EPA left them with a free brochure on how to install a roll cage in a Tesla

EXCAL

Member (9mm)
In the 90s they went and seized cars from dealers that had been modified before the sale by places like Saleen and Shelby. This led to the "post title" mods. You buy the car then violating the emissions laws is on you not the dealer/builder. Now they want to outlaw the aftermarket parts industry too.
BTW: If my street car can't become a race car can my race car become a street car?
starts at 1 minute
Anybody got a rusty pre 75 Mustang and title lying around? I need to build one too. My 310" Boss motor needs a place to run.

Coup d'etat

Forward assist bolt?
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Remember when the dept called called "BLM" ordered something like 80 million rounds of hollow point 40 S&W? It was years ago but a lot of people were scratching their heads.
Bureau of Land Management....
Why do they need all that ammo?

turborich

Im all for getting rid of the fast & furious wannabe dip$hits with their Honda Civics with fart can exhaust that sounds like a weasel stuck in a lawn mower. They all drive like idiots!
You are part of the problem then! This isn't just targeting Honda Civics, but everything including tuners for your new Mustang, Camaro, Charger and EVERYTHING diesel related. I suggest you move to California with a view like you have.

Harley

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
You are part of the problem then! This isn't just targeting Honda Civics, but everything including tuners for your new Mustang, Camaro, Charger and EVERYTHING diesel related. I suggest you move to California with a view like you have.
HA!

Fortunately I have zero interest in any of that “new” stuff. Nice try though, go blame somebody else. :ROFLMAO::LOL:

JTW_Jr

WheelGunner / Outsider
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I agree 100%. I imagine if they starting imposing this stuff on the throttle jockeys riding on Harleys, his tune will change ( no pun intended).
Same fudd mentality that didn’t care about the ban of bumpstocks and 80% lowers, and now it’s braces.

Harley

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
I agree 100%. I imagine if they starting imposing this stuff on the throttle jockeys riding on Harleys, his tune will change ( no pun intended).
Same fudd mentality that didn’t care about the ban of bumpstocks and 80% lowers, and now it’s braces.
I could care less. Doesn't affect me!

ZilWin

On Florida's west coast, JH Diesel’s Justin Hildebrande received a letter from the EPA asking for two months of customer invoicing from his shop. Hildebrande's business was initially fined $180,000. But after turning over troves of information to the EPA, the fine was settled at $22,000.

North of Denver, PFI Speed got audited by the EPA back in November, owner and operator Brent Leivestad said in a YouTube video last month. Agents asked the ownership about its clients, suppliers, and what it was selling.

As a result of offering to sell electronic control modules for vehicles, the business was initially fined $180,000 but may settle for $18,000 after turning over information to the EPA. Leivestad compared the experience to a “shakedown.”
So it sounds like these shop owners rolled over on their clients, customers, and vendors to plea down to a lower fine.