• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Every man should own an old truck

BerlinerBear

Active member (5.56mm)
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I owned an old '52 Chevy pickup a few decades ago. It had the 6 volt system with the points mounted on the firewall. I converted it to propane and put another 50K miles on it. I miss that old truck and wish I had it back. It was faded red with one blue rear fender.

My son called it the Red Beatle. Sorry, no pics.

EXCAL

Member (9mm)
I've got a 2004 F250 disguised as an SUV. I don't have to pay a weight fee on my Excursion license - I can haul 4x8 sheets in the back. I can take 8 people to dinner. Yeah I can't get a scoop of gravel in the back so I need to take the trailer for that. The only thing bigger is an H1 Hummer - I'm kicking around if I need one of those.

Bob R

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
When I was stationed in San Diego in the mid to late 70s I squeezed a 427 (L88) into a 66 El Camino. That thing was squirrely no matter what I did so I took out the 427 and sold it to a guy for his drag boat. I replaced it with a much more manageable 327 with some different pistons, heads, cam and carb for a little more ummph. After that it was fun to drive. I sold it to a buddy and he had it parked on the street in front of his house and one night a semi decided to run into it. At least he pulled the engine before the junkyard got the body. I played with a 49 Ford F100 for a while also. Old trucks can get very expensive very fast.

bob

NYECOGunsmith

WILL BAN FOR AAA Batteries
Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I've got a 2004 F250 disguised as an SUV. I don't have to pay a weight fee on my Excursion license - I can haul 4x8 sheets in the back. I can take 8 people to dinner. Yeah I can't get a scoop of gravel in the back so I need to take the trailer for that. The only thing bigger is an H1 Hummer - I'm kicking around if I need one of those.
I have an H1 Hummer, it will only hold 4 people, and not very comfortably at that , and you can't get anything big in the back. It's a 4 door wagon with the ambulance type side swinging doors.
On the plus side it is up armored, weighs 12,000 pounds and will go nearly anywhere, as long as the trail is more than 8 feet wide that is!

Dr. Marneaus

Leave me alone.
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Been 6 months since I sold my bumpside F100 , I miss it , until I had to put gas in it...that 390 liked to eat.
Mine isn’t much worse than a 2500 gasser. About 13mpg

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Mine isn’t much worse than a 2500 gasser. About 13mpg
13 is pretty good. Most of my driving is in the City and all of my vehicles are about 15 in the town, with the exception of the my Titan (not the Nissan previously mentioned) with gets about 12 in town.

MAC702

I don't believe in the no-win scenario
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
13 is pretty good. Most of my driving is in the City and all of my vehicles are about 15 in the town, with the exception of the my Titan (not the Nissan previously mentioned) with gets about 12 in town.
How would you know? You're never in town!

NvPirate

Barney had 2 bullets
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter

After investing $5000 under the hood my MPG in town went from 16.2 to 22.8. Well worth the trouble.

Screenshot_20201018-185341_Chrome.jpg

NvPirate

Barney had 2 bullets
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
Deleted ALL EGR, larger turbo, 8" intake and exhaust , stronger head bolts, ram air intake filter, and different injectors. He also downloaded an RV type program and removed catalytic converter and muffler to straight pipe.