• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Raptor getting hot, supposedly. Mechs on here?

Briket

Jedi Master
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
Did in order..thermostat, radiator, water pump, fan assembly, laptop and head/block test
Will idle and drive all day long no issues, pulling the trailer on grades where higher than normal temps would be expected, thats when problem manifests.
Did you use motorcraft parts? I’ve heard of aftermarket thermostats not opening enough, and aftermarket radiators clogging up. After a decent drive what temps are you getting on the upper, middle, and lower areas of the radiator

TRDPilot

Member (9mm)
@Fogie My close buddy is one of the lead guys at Team Ford. He has a "mobile mechanic" side gig that he does on nights and weekends. If you need some help send me a DM and I will give you his number. You won't pay the typical dealer rates.

Good luck chasing gremlins

-TRD

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Did you use motorcraft parts? I’ve heard of aftermarket thermostats not opening enough, and aftermarket radiators clogging up. After a decent drive what temps are you getting on the upper, middle, and lower areas of the radiator
yep, all OEM and the new radiator didn't change a thing...issue identical before and after

Harley

BANNED FOR LIFE+10 Because he dared me to do it!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
ECM issue….?

Sounds like ya ruled out pretty much everything else at this point

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
@Fogie My close buddy is one of the lead guys at Team Ford. He has a "mobile mechanic" side gig that he does on nights and weekends. If you need some help send me a DM and I will give you his number. You won't pay the typical dealer rates.

Good luck chasing gremlins

-TRD
This is my last smack at the problem....Thanks, hopefully won't have to take you up on it but probably will. ??

Harley

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
Maybe hook up a mechanical temp gauge to bypass all the electronic BS and tell ya what its actually running at.

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
ECM issue….?

Sounds like ya ruled out pretty much everything else at this point
Just going to get that sensor changed and the wiring straightened out, get it back together. Will see what happens then, might just get one more part for it after that. ?
Ha!...just kidding. It's extremely low miles and paid for, worth getting straight.

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
??...maybe it has feathers where they aren't supposed to be?

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Did you get the temp readings ?
yes...nothing over 185* anywhere including the radiator, but idling. Can't reproduce the issue in the driveway or even tooling around.

Harley

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
AD1DE79B-49A8-40DF-B623-D9DA17EDE08D.jpeg

On a serious note, issues like that are enough to piss a guy off! Typically turns out to be something stupid though. Best of luck

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Self-igniting models! :ROFLMAO:

Dr. Marneaus

Leave me alone.
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Mine is just an SVT performance version of the same Boss 6.2 V8 that had been Ford's HD motor for years, uses all the same proven cooling parts.
well there’s your problem. You really just need a good ole 300 In-line 6. Mine has been running fine for about 50 years.
F739F599-BA0C-4E40-9610-611F90F765FC.jpeg

Briket

Jedi Master
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
yes...nothing over 185* anywhere including the radiator, but idling. Can't reproduce the issue in the driveway or even tooling around.
Well that’s good your definitely getting good flow, mine sits around 204-210 this time of year.
Have you checked your cooling fan motors and fan clutch ?

A lot of times the fans will get stuck on low which is fine for most driving, but won’t switch on to high when your putting load on the engine.

Last edited:

vroom_vroom

Well-known member (45 ACP)
just throwing this out there. i had a sierra with the 6.2 ( i know different manufacturer) however in the dead of summer towing our camper to utah it would get hot going up grades. it even had the tow pack radiator, but it was still the same one from the small motor trucks. long story short the manufactures dont spend money most of the time to re engineer a part that will do fine for 98%. i ended up going to an aftermarket cold case and never had the issue again. not saying its your issue but i sounds very similar. truck always ran at temp doing anything else but towing in the summer would creep the temps up to the point i discolored my entire exhaust pipe from manifold to tip. more rpms made it worse as well as it was not giving the coolant time to cool in the radiator.

Gunhand

Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Red Rock repair on W. Charleston, they are great, honest mechanics

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Red Rock repair on W. Charleston, they are great, honest mechanics
Actually...took it there. They had it a day and 6 hours of labor declared the truck healthy, nothing wrong with it.
I sent it down the road a week later, deer hunt was coming.

Gunhand

Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Actually...took it there. They had it a day and 6 hours of labor declared the truck healthy, nothing wrong with it.
I sent it down the road a week later, deer hunt was coming.
WOW, they do all the work on my Roush and Bronco, plus my company trucks. They have always come through for me.