• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Raptor getting hot, supposedly. Mechs on here?

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
WOW, they do all the work on my Roush and Bronco, plus my company trucks. They have always come through for me.
They were the third batch of mechanics to reach that conclusion, was time to cut my losses.

Coup d'etat

Forward assist bolt?
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Check for partially clogged cats. Just a thought.
Temps would be ok at idle and normal driving. Put your foot in it and the exhaust will start to back up and everything gets very very hot.

Coup

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Check for partially clogged cats. Just a thought.
Temps would be ok at idle and normal driving. Put your foot in it and the exhaust will start to back up and everything gets very very hot.

Coup
They tested fine, bought the gauge and did the before and after thing myself.
The truck easily passed inspection at the dealership that got it, the new one pulls my little trailers like a champ.

Last edited:

Loadmaster

Lurker (.22LR)
Well it looks like everyone covered most of the bases. What does a secondary gauge say when the temp gauge goes up while towing? Forgive me if you already mentioned it but does the scanner data match the temp gauge on the car? Depending on how much you are towing it may just need a cooling system upgrade. Would a different tune help it run cooler? If the condenser isn't restricting air the only other things I can think to check are any factory shrouds the help air go through the radiator and not elsewhere.

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Well it looks like everyone covered most of the bases. What does a secondary gauge say when the temp gauge goes up while towing? Forgive me if you already mentioned it but does the scanner data match the temp gauge on the car? Depending on how much you are towing it may just need a cooling system upgrade. Would a different tune help it run cooler? If the condenser isn't restricting air the only other things I can think to check are any factory shrouds the help air go through the radiator and not elsewhere.
It's not my problem anymore, I surely miss that truck but not the issue while towing....talked to a very good mechanic not long ago who is convinced that it had exhaust valve or valve spring trouble in the head that the cylinder head temperature sensor threaded into.
That exhaust gas was heating up only that head..explains how it could heat and cool according to the gauge and laptop so fast without actually overheating the coolant..his theory. Meh, Mopar now.

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I understand from previous postings that the truck was sold a few months ago.
In September yep, it's out of state somewhere. The DMV thinks I still have it too, told them I don't but still....